Wednesday, May 20, 2009

sentirme como en casa
I'm still around...and still living la vida Chilena.  Conveniently, I have done some traveling since my last post--Iquique, "the Miami of South America," according to some.  However, we'll leave that for another time, as I believe I'm about 2 and 1/2 months overdue for a post regarding my home front.

Despite common belief, or perhaps just some floating rumors, I am in Chile as a foreign exchange student...enrolled full-time at the Universidad Católica del Norte--here for five months taking (mostly journalism) classes in a spanish-immersion environment alongside the local university students.  Fun stuff.  This is a part of my studies at UNC Asheville, running parallel with both my spanish and communications/journalism majors.  **This is not related to YWAM (but check out Tyler's hot, new webpage), nor is it me traveling around South America/the world on sabbatical...although, I must say it often feels like the latter.

A slice of my campus--from the road (in front of my house)
In short, I've found the university to be significantly easier and more laid back than what I'm used to in the states--partially due to the fact that I'm only taking four classes, two of which are first year.  For example, while last week marked the half-way point in the semester, I'm yet to have an extensive exam or test in any of my classes, have had one quiz, one essay (film critique), two group projects and a dozen or so fun photography assignments.  Thankfully, however, my program and geographical location forces culture/language immersion in and out of the classroom...making every daily routine and activity a learning, growing and educational experience.  And I'm keeping myself quite busy.

The exceptionally hospitable, open and relational Chilean culture (generally speaking) has brought me a host of new friends, acquaintances and social outlets, perhaps rivaling those of my circle back home in number and certainly in diversity.  Apart from my scheduled classes monday-friday, a typical day may consist of any of the following activities: a tennis match on the campus' clay courts (doubles against my chilean tennis mates or a singles match against my fellow gringo-Suheil Shaikh, CA.); an epic surf session at la puntilla (20 min. walk from my house); dinner at a friends house (generally followed by some pisco or "chela" and a guitar on the front porch); a pick-up game of competitive beach volleyball; or chilling in the sand/chatting and swimming with friends at the beach.  Weekends are another story!

A surf buddy shredding a clean line at la puntilla.
If I'm not traveling to another city, distant mountain or national/regional park, baseball keeps me busy most of the weekend. Yes, baseball in Chile! I was shocked too (especially after being informed that it doesn't exist here). One ordinary night, my first week here, I was leaving the campus at about
eight oclock.  As I exited through the large-gated entrance, the nighttime guard approached me in search of a flame for his cigarette, only to find that not only did I lack a lighter or match, but a chilean accent as well.  After establishing I was United Statian, the first question he asked was what sports I played.  Fortunately for us both, the answer was baseball, as I soon learned that he is the coach for the team at the University, and I received a personal invitation to the first practice of the season, starting three weeks later.  Although it's a "University team," it has much more of a rec-ball feel, with practice once a week (Saturday 12pm) and games on Sunday (10 or 12).  I'm having a blast, finally putting on another uni. However, I must say, the three-year hiatus since my glory days in highschool is evident.  I went way too long without swinging a bat.  Or, specifically, without facing a live picture in game mode. But, as a team we've done alright, with a current winning record of 2 and 1 (gulp, and the 1 loss is mine...not a good way to start my pitching career).

Falta Césped: the local ballfield--all dirt
I've also been spending time on the field during the weekdays, helping out with the highschool team that practices a couple times a week, leading their practices with a team mate from the University.  Just putting on a pair of cleats and being on the field again is so refreshing and nostalgic.  Now this is the part where I'm supposed to mention the smell of the freshly cut grass, the screaming fa...*screech*  I can't quite go that far.  Because, in fact, there is no grass.  This is one more of the funny, little, daily reminders that I live in the driest desert in the world (I'm gonna start a list).  So, yes, it's baseball, exactly as I know it...but it doesn't lack the chilean/foreign flavor that motifs all aspects of my life down here.

At the beginning of my time in Antofagasta, I was convinced I was on a brief vacation or just passing through another beautiful country.  My mental and emocional disposition was in hyper-go, while-offer-lasts mode, exhausting moment after moment and filling every block of time with Chile stuff.  That was a lot of fun, expensive, tiring and restless.  A couple weeks ago I actually realized  that I'm here for five months, and this must become my home.  Chilling in the house and reading after dinner a couple nights a week is quite alright.  My goodness, it's actually down right lovely and I had no idea how much I was missing it (thanks Hemingway and Brother Lawrence)!  Things are finally slowing down into "real-life" time and I'm thinking.  This is a very good thing. "In all things, intent"...I hope to one day see that in the rearview mirror of my life, and slowing down and just living here is a step in that direction.
My life box: The bedside comfort-zone and pensive corner.
Antofagasta has become my home.  I will say, it took some time and tailoring, 6-8 weeks, but it fits well and makes mighty comfy.

You know you live in the driest desert in the world when (inspired by personal experience):
I-You hang your wet clothes on the clothes line after sunset, 9pm, and find them dry at 9am the next morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would just like to say that you spelled "emotional" with a C and it made me laugh for a quite a while. you're definitely immersed my friend. i absolutely love reading your posts! -beth

Eva said...

Tim,
This was so good to read. I'm glad you're staying so busy! I am having a slightly similar experience with classes (I only have 5) but sadly, am not staying as busy. Let's just say, Germans aren't as friendly as Chileans and friends are harder to come by.
It sounds like you are really getting so many opportunities to speak Spanish and really be immersed. That is so fantastic.
Keep up the good work!
Love,
Eva

Unknown said...

timoteo, me alegro que ahora sientas comodo alli en Chile. Es maravilloso que estes involucado en todas esas actividades. y que bien que tenes esta oportunidad de jugar beisbol otra vez!